Saturday 5 May 2012

Quick & Easy Chocolate Dipped Flapjacks

Today I thought I'd share with you this recipe for Chocolate Dipped Flapjacks. It's easy and you probably have the ingredients in your cupboard most of the time especially if you're like me and have porridge for breakfast every morning!



I wrote this recipe in my baking book years ago and it's an old favourite of mine as it's.....
quick.......easy.....and.......delicious! 

And as a bonus, I have estimated that a tray of these flapjacks cost about £2 to make which works out that each flapjack costs about 17p!

I used to make these flapjacks for the WI market stall in Witney, Oxfordshire, where I used to live many years ago. My boys were very young and I used to bake cakes for the stall to earn some money for extras. My Mum gave me the recipe but I'm not sure where it came from originally - possibly from one of the Stork cookery books....

Ingredients:

60g Golden Syrup
185g Stork/Margarine
155g Demerara Sugar
270g Porridge Oats
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/2 Bar Milk Chocolate Cake Covering



Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees C/Gas Mark 3-4.

Measure the syrup, margarine and sugar into a large saucepan and put on a low heat to melt gently, stirring occasionally.


Put the porridge oats in a large bowl and add the ginger....


........mixing them well.


Line a baking tray with baking parchment. My tray is about 10"/26cm by 7.5"/19cm but it doesn't have to be this size. I use this one as it makes the flapjacks chunkier but you could just as well use a larger one - you'll just have thinner flapjacks but more of them!


When the syrup mixture has melted together..........


........take the pan off the heat.

And add the porridge mixture to the syrup mixture in the pan....


Stir well until all the oats are covered.


Add the mixture to the baking tray.


Smooth out and press down gently with a spoon.


Until the bottom of the tin is covered....



Pop in the oven for about 30-40 minutes or until nice and browned.


Remove from oven, leave for 5 minutes, then cut into portions. This is important at this stage as it's difficult to cut them when they're cool ;)


Don't remove from the tin yet. Leave to cool completely.


When cool, remove from the baking tray by lifting out the baking parchment and then peel the paper off carefully. It should remove easily.

Tip: don't use greaseproof paper as I have a feeling this sticks.

They should break easily into the portions you have cut :)

You can then eat them as they are.... without chocolate.... and they are still delicious without chocolate :)


Or, if you're a chocoholic like me, melt the cooking chocolate in a small deep bowl in the microwave for a couple of minutes or so stirring every 30 seconds (or follow the instructions on the packet).

Have another piece of baking parchment ready on your table/kitchen side.

Dip your flapjacks in the chocolate. I sometimes use a teaspoon as well to help put the chocolate where I want it!


Place them on the baking parchment and wait until the chocolate is cooled.

This is the difficult bit....the waiting....but they really are much nicer once the chocolate has cooled....so find something else to do....leave the kitchen....for about half an hour :)

Then.....

Crunchy on the outside.....

Chewy on the inside......

Yummy and chocolatey :D

Serve and enjoy!


Mmm..... there's at least 2 missing from that plate....

Tip: Make a double batch as they won't last long!!

Maggie xx

11 comments:

  1. They look very yummy! Must think about making some ~ definitely dipped in chocolate too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delicious, Maggie :) I definitely have to try them myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy yummy! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely have a go at these. We love flapjacks but I've never thought of dipping them in chocolate!! Also porridge oats are good for the heart so they are practically a health food-lol. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! I don't know what golden syrup is because we must call it something different here in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have an equivalent here in the US. But you do have golden syrup at World Market, any English novelty shop or Giant supermarket , which is on the East Coast :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the recipe, I know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look scrumptious, especially with chocolate xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look good and kind of healthy with the oats? Or is that wishful thinking? They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo, looks delicious! I've tried several flapjack recipes over the years, trying to find the perfect chewy flapjack! This is one I shall definitely be trying. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh these look deeeelish!! I may have to make these tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMMM these look amazing! I love chocolate so dipping these flapjacks in chocolate is like music to my ears! Thank you for sharing with us at Countdown in Style! Don't forget to stop by Friday to see if you are featured! xo

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!