Saturday 15 June 2013

The Doll's House Quilt: A Perfect Travelling Project

Hello!
Quite a long time no see.....I hope you're well.
 
We've just spent a couple of weeks touring in France and I just had to show you this quilt that I made whilst on the move :)


It's a little doll's house quilt :) 

I had gone away with several ideas for crafty projects to do on the road. As the weather wasn't brilliant, I found time to make some bunting and, of course, a patchwork block for my holiday quilt.

But this little quilt was by far the most enjoyable.


I loved cutting out the tiny squares and using up the smallest of fabric scraps!


It made the perfect small project to travel with.
 
I sewed it by hand and I particularly enjoyed the hand quilting which I hadn't tried before.


I used the English paper piecing method to make the patchwork top...
 
 
I wasn't sure how the back would look......


but I think all the little stitches look cute....


When I'd completed this little quilt, I decided to make another.....


and another!


As you can see, I haven't quilted these yet (another couple of WIPs on the list!)

Here are the backs....

 

My little projects mingled well with the French dictionary, Kindle and travel sweets in Harvey J's glove box :)


 
So if you like a spot of relaxing hand sewing and you have some fabric scraps, I would thoroughly recommend making a little quilt whilst on holiday.
 
 
For me, there's only one downside. No doll's house to put them in! I have a solution though...... I think I will treat them as mini wall quilts. In fact they will look very cute in Harvey J. They will add a nice homely touch....
 
Yes....good idea.....I'll just check with Chris.....on the other hand........maybe I'll just put them up and see if he notices.......;)
 
Happy Crafting!
 
Maggie xx

9 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the color combos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie...Your tiny quilt is beautiful! I love the colours in the two in progress too. We have a dolls house and as soon as it's restored this will be on the list!
    Happy new week,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weren't you productive on vacation? Very cute. My favorite is the pink one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little quilts are adorable...love the fabrics. I enjoyed seeing and reading about your process. Travel sweets would only last a few miles with me! And then I'd have to stop for more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute. I love hand sewing and quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are cuties, too! I love that you whip stitched the squares.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet little quilts, perfect size in decorating until you get a dollhouse. How tiny are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The completed quilt measures approx, 6.5 inches by 7.5 inches. xx

      Delete
  8. 6.5 x 7.5, so tiny Maggie! Perfect doll's house quilts :D

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!