Tuesday 30 September 2014

So much for the WIPs, I've started a new project!

 A few things to share with you today.

I've been wanting to grow some soft fruit for a while now. When I saw this gooseberry bush in the supermarket, I thought I'd snap it up.  Here it is planted in our old veggie patch. Let's hope it survives...the last one didn't!


I also planted this little shrub that my sister Ros bought me from the Highgrove Shop after our garden tour the other week. 


In the Highgrove gardens, they had it planted everywhere including under some trees so I thought I'd try my luck by planting under our apple tree.


I still have a few roses blooming in the garden....


I have three climbing roses. I've tended to just let them grow up and tie them up a bit haphazardly. I've been reading up on how to train them up the wall correctly and have been doing a bit of remedial work so hopefully next year we may get a better display.

This lovely rudbeckia is still blooming...


The main thing that's been keeping us busy this last week or so is the maintenance of the deck railings. 

We've had to pressure wash them, Chris is now sanding them and I'm painting them with wood preserver/stain. It's a long and laborious task and we haven't even touched the rails on the roadside yet. But hopefully it will be worth it and won't require doing again for a few years!



To counteract the effects of the deck railings task, I started a new project last night!

 I know...I showed you a couple of WIPs last time and I should be doing them! But this is going to be a tablecloth for the cottage kitchen in France. These fabrics have been in my collection for a while and I've sold a few metres of each.  I've been secretly coveting them and not wanting them to sell too fast as I knew I wanted to make something from them! I love the colours and patterns and they will be perfect for the cottage kitchen.


The fabrics are from the Mooshka Collection by Julie Paschkis for In The Beginning fabrics. 

I'm making the tablecloth by simple strip piecing.......


.....that results in 15cm/6" squares.

It's not finished yet. I have some more strips to cut and sew. The tablecloth needs to be quite big. I've estimated about 175cm by 175cm.


I've also had a thought that I might make a similar piece from different fabrics as the backing and then I can turn it over for a different look! What do you think?

Thanks to those of you who have checked out my new blog about France and for all your lovely comments. It's so great to see you over there! 

For those of you who haven't yet, I would love it if you popped over. The blog is called Brambling in Brittany and you can visit it by clicking on this photo:


Thanks, as always, for popping by!

Maggie xx

12 comments:

  1. You are such a busy Bee Maggie, in two countries as well!
    I love how your tablecloth looks so far and two useable sides is a great idea I think.
    Love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your view of the countryside is stunning! I hate painting and/or staining. Ouch, it hurts my arm. Lazy old Pom Pom. I think I'm like you in that I'd need a project to counteract all that brushing! The tablecloth is perfect for the Britney house! Gorgeous combinations! Yes, do something different on the back so you can flip it! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning, the tablecloth is a delight and would be amazing to have a different look each side. A truly stunning view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning view. I love the tablecloth it would be amazing to have a different look each side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tablecloth is looking very pretty!! And your deck is very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your tablecloth! Your garden is looking great too. I have found that if you train roses horizontally rather than vertically or diagonally you will get a lot more flowers, yours are a beautiful colour aren't they! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where do I start? You're very motivating with your deck railing project and it looks amazing! What a wonderful view you have of the countryside too. I love your new plantings. I had gooseberries on my farm years ago and loved them. I hope yours take hold and a bush that will grow under trees? That's a keeper!
    I love those fabrics and can't blame you for holding on to them! I would definitely make your tablecloth reversible if you can. You could make it one fabric or patchwork too. I'm off to visit Brittany now! Toodles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love your deck, what a stunning view!
    Pretty tablecloth!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those fabrics! Good luck with the new plants. I don't have a green thumb! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your plants are looking beautiful Maggie (I love climbing roses too) and your new fabrics are so pretty...It's hard work treating decking but definitely worth it (such a lovely view have too!)
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what an amazing view you have. Just going to hope over and see how France is doing. I have been minus a computer for the past month so lots of catching up to do. Diane :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your lovely comments, Maggie, on my blog. The view from your deck is wonderful and huzzah for hubbies who do some of the strenuous work!! I love all the patchwork you do - very talented!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!