Monday 21 April 2014

Bedside Cupboard Makeover

Happy Easter! I hope you're having a lovely Easter holiday!

I've been busy decorating. I started in the spare bedroom. I've gone for a blue and white colour scheme. I found some lovely curtains and bedding with lovely big blue roses. I wanted something fresh that would suit our cottage bedroom. I will hopefully take some photos and show you in a later post. 

At the moment my son George is home from Uni and is staying in the spare bedroom. He can't use his own bedroom as all the stuff that was in the spare room, I emptied out for decorating and put in his room! He doesn't seem to mind. He told me he likes the minimalist look of just a bed and white walls!

I had a couple of pine bedside cupboards which I've had for years. They were unfinished pine when I bought them but I'd never got round to vanishing or painting them. I decided that they were perfect for the spare bedroom but could do with a bit of sprucing up. I've seen lots of furniture that has been painted and distressed so I thought I'd have a go. Here's one of the bedside cupboards as it was....



I removed the knobs from the drawers. Then washed and sanded it...



I used an old candle to put a bit of wax in the places I wanted to distress...



Then painted 3 coats of white emulsion.....

First coat....


Second coat....


Third coat.....



I then sanded the corners and edges that I wanted to look distressed...I tried wire wool, then sand paper but in the end found it easier to use my little electric palm sander....





Then added these lovely ceramic knobs that I have been collecting for a job like this!



I'm pretty pleased with the result. It was quite easy and not too time consuming.  I think it helped that I could leave it in the spare room and just come back to it when I wanted. Sorry it's not a brilliant photo.....it's acting as a stand for George's TV at the moment!



I'm now decorating the bathroom. I've really got the decorating bug! There's been lots of woodwork to paint and I've had to do 4 coats in some areas. It's coming along though and we put new curtains up yesterday and they look so pretty. Today I must tackle painting the door!

Have a lovely Easter Monday!

Maggie xx




9 comments:

  1. I love them Maggie! The little knobs are just right too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely !! Great job!! :) I have also ordered few ceramic knobs for drawer cabinets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps you will pop over and help me decorate when you have finished at home.

    Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the knobs, and the cupboards turned out so well. Good job! We will definitely need to see pictures of the finished room. Hope you have fun with your George being home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The result is just great! Biz Evelyne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I've always wondered how that technique worked. Thank you for demonstrating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! What a lovely project to enjoy each time you see it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a handy lady you are !
    The cabinet turned out terrific, well done !
    Good luck with all the other handiwork , love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a lovely job on distressing and painting. The knobs are perfect! I love their designs.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!