Friday 22 March 2013

Lifting the Mood with some Summery Patchwork

We're having some really miserable weather here at the moment. This morning we took Spencer for his walk on the Common and it was so windy we were nearly blown away! As soon as we came home it started raining and hasn't stopped since. At least we're not having all the snow that other parts of the country are having.
 
I decided to batten down the hatches this afternoon and stay in and do some sewing. I'm working on a baby clothes quilt for a customer at the moment. This afternoon, having spent some time on this, I remembered a quilt I'd started making last summer. I'm not sure if I have shown you the blocks in a previous post. They're called Fractured Pinwheels.....There are two blocks using the same fabrics but in different positions....


I had already made six blocks of each...


So this afternoon, I decided I would sew the blocks together to make the quilt top......
 
First into strips of four blocks each...


and then I sewed the strips together and pressed the whole thing to complete the quilt top.....


Working with these gorgeous summery fabrics with pretty roses and strawberries really lifted my mood!
 
It didn't take too long to complete the top. Let's hope I don't take another ten months to quilt and bind it!
 
I hope the weather's not too bad where you are. Have you been battening down the hatches too? If so, have you taken some time to do some crafts?
 
Maggie xx
 
 

6 comments:

  1. I am amazed by your work. Just beautiful, and, you're right, so summery too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Maggie....I definitely have some catching up to do! You and Chris got married?!?!?! That's what I get for slacking off! I missed the whole dang wedding! You better believe I'll be reading the archives to catch up! Did Spencer get to attend? Did he go on the honeymoon? How is that boy? He's probably a teenager by now!
    I so adore English fabrics or else your choice of them. The quilt is so sweet and that is a really interesting block! I have my first quilt to bind still and now I can't remember how to do it...bad part of getting old! LOL! I am making a sweet little girl bunny though who's named.....Maggie! I love that name and I bet you do too! I'm so happy for you and Chris! I've learned my lesson...hopefully! I'll be staying on top of your blog from now on! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely lovely work and gorgeous prints too. I can safely say it will take me at least a year to make a quilt like this or maybe even two years...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely quilt and in my favorite colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabrics and the pretty colours of your quilt top Maggie...beautiful work!
    Happy Sunday,
    Susan x
    P.S Very cold and blustery here this morning...a good day for knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Красота, мне очень нравится сочетание тканей.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!