Wednesday 4 July 2012

Nautical Patchwork Baby Quilt

In my last post, I mentioned that I had just completed a couple of custom orders - one of these was a baby quilt.

My lovely customer asked me to make a quilt for her baby boy's first birthday. She said she would like a nautical quilt similar to my red, white and blue quilt........


...... but with a slight change of colour scheme ...... going more for blue, green and white with a touch a red ........ to co-ordinate with the little boy's bedroom........


The quilt was to be a different size and a rectangular shape as the quilt was to fit in the cot so that baby could sleep on top of it.

This soooo jogged memories of my own two baby boys who always used to end up sleeping on top of their bedclothes ........ I used to put them to bed in little fitted sleeping bags :)

For my lovely customer's baby quilt, I made the patchwork top from squares in a diagonal pattern......


..........with a navy polka dot binding.....


I'm so pleased with the colours and patterns ...
.... so boaty and boyish ...
.... bright and cheerful ....
... fabulous together, don't you think?

The backing was made from the blue and white stripe with jolly red anchors.....


...... rolled up.....

  

..... or folded .....


This is the best photo by far.....my lovely customer sent me this fab pic of her gorgeous little boy enjoying his quilt on his first birthday!


Adorable is an understatement! :)


So.....how lucky am I?..... making patchwork quilts for cute little babies to enjoy?....well I think you know the answer to that....:D

Maggie xx

6 comments:

  1. Hi Maggie!
    Oh, it's VERY cute and the baby looks so happy!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lucky little boy to receive such a beautiful quilt. I hope his mother saves it for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, the quilt and the baby boy on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the addition of the green. Looks great all around and what a sweet little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Maggie, that's beautiful!
    The little boy is so lucky to have such a sweet present for his birthday.
    Love, Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your choice of fabrics for both quilts and you made me realize how much I enjoy simple patchwork quilts. I'm not really into a lot of the more sophisticated patterns that are out there. I just really like the simplicity of patchwork and I think it shows the fabrics to their advantage. Beautiful job! I didn't know you had a shop..good for you! Is that what you do full-time?
    I need to get back to sewing. Hopefully this Fall. (I need to clean up my sewing area...I couldn't find anything in there right now! LOL!). Those quilts are just precious!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!